Friday, March 11, 2011

Random Thoughts from Beijing

1) Chinese food is awesome. Chinese breakfast, on the other hand, is nasty...that ain't food....
2) A 8.9 earthquake in Japan seems a lot less distant when you're watching it on TV in China.
3) Went to Tiananmen Square today, but it's "closed". The Central Politburo of the Communist Party is meeting in Beijing right now, and security is VERY tight. There were (and I'm not exaggerating) at least 6-8 policemen and/or military personnel EVERY BLOCK. Tiananmen was fenced off, with an armed soldier stationed every 10 yards or so around the entire perimeter.
4) I wonder what they would do if someone jumped the fence and ran out into the square...but I didn't experiment to find out...
5) After 3 days of "authentic local cuisine", I had Kentucky Fried Chicken for supper tonight. can you believe that they fry chicken in Kentucky and then ship it ALL THE WAY TO BEIJING?!?!
6) Oreo Blizzard at DQ for dessert. Happy, happy, happy...
7) 22 million people live in Beijing. And they were all on my subway train today.
8) I had my first experience with being (literally) jammed into public transportation. A security officer was standing at each door, pushing people into the trains...the Chinese concept of "personal space" is very different than the US understanding...
9) I'm tall here. Happy, happy, happy...
10) "It's a real Coach purse. I would not lie to you."
11) In any language, video of a 23-foot tsunami is terrifying.
12) People respond really quickly when I email them from China. Apparently, distance increases the perceived value of the communication. I need to start emailing from the moon...
13) It's going to be 69 in Beijing on Saturday!
14) We have wrapped up our first training workshop. We'll start up in Linyi on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know when you get to the moon. I want to know how they get the chicken up there.

    ReplyDelete