Friday, February 26, 2010

If I'm one of the "teachers", why do I feel so inadequate?


There are certain things that are ALWAYS true when I travel with LRI training pastors. Here are a few of them:
1) I eat interesting foods. I like this. The foods can be disturbing (seasoned grasshoppers in Oaxaca) or difficult to swallow (fermented mare's milk in Kazakhstan) or fabulous (omelets with amazing African seasonings in Kenya). That's Brazilian pizza on the right, featuring heart of palm, olives, some kind of unfamiliar cheese, and a few other things I didn't recognize. Maybe it's good to NOT be able to read the menu...
2) I miss my family. Nuf said...
3) I realize that God is bigger than I thought he was. I think maybe we should each be on a life-long journey of discovering this truth.
4) I become more and more convinced of the importance of what LRI does. There are literally MILLIONS of pastors in the world, and more than 80% of them have no formal Bible training of any kind. If a pastor doesn't have the tools to teach God's Word, the consequences can be frightening. (Remind me to write sometime about a few of the cults that we've become aware of around the world...I just found out about one today...in the United States...) But as we equip these pastors, it's not an exaggeration to say that thousands of pastors are being trained, hundreds of churches are being planted, and huge numbers of people are meeting Jesus.
5) I feel inadequate. Cuz I am... As I get to know the TNTers in each country, I feel as if I'm sitting with some of the great heroes of the faith. In some countries, they've been beaten...persecuted...imprisoned... They've lost their jobs, and have often sacrificed time with their families to make a difference for the kingdom. They generally serve in small churches with very little earthly reward, and they give of themselves to train others around the globe. But regardless of how inadequate I am, God consistently shows HIMSELF to be adequate. Good thing this ministry is built around HIM, and not Mark Morris. How pathetic would THAT be?

PRAYER REQUESTS:
1) Our training with the TNTers wrapped up today. The guys are headed back to their homes- some of them driving more than 10 hours. Pray for safe travel, and that they would be faithful and effective at training other pastors.
2) We're meeting tomorrow with a missionary and a visiting US pastor, who want to know more about TNT. Pray for a good conversation, and God's leading.
3) Other than one meeting, Saturday is our day off. We'll be resting up and preparing for a busy week of training/teaching in Garca, a city about 5 hours in-country. Pray for my preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment